Crockett Solicitors

Family Law

Family law is a legal practice area that focuses on issues involving family relationships such as adoption, divorce, contact with children among others. We are able to represent you in family court proceedings and can also draft important legal documents such as court petitions or property agreements. We have listed some of our services below, but can also help in adoption, paternity and other matters relating to children.

Although some divorces are straightforward, many can become particularly difficult where there are children involved, domestic abuse within the home or financial issues to be resolved .

Once you have made the difficult decision to divorce we understand the last thing you want is for the divorce to drag on. That’s why we will do our very best to get the process moving as swiftly and smoothly as possible.

We are members of Resolution, having signed up to a Code of Practice which promotes a constructive approach to family issues and considers the needs of the whole family. We will therefore always aim for an amicable settlement in the best interests of any children rather than drawing out and complicating divorce proceedings; nobody benefits from a long and contentious divorce. 

If you receive a divorce petition then we can respond for you. There are strict time limits within which to respond, so the sooner you bring the divorce petition in to us the better. Equally, if you wish to start ball the rolling with your divorce, we can submit a petition to the court for you.

You can apply for a divorce on a no blame basis; you simply petition the other person and we can help you to complete the forms you need to complete online to start the process.

Our specialist lawyers are able to advise you on the best way to prove this on the individual circumstances of your case. They will guide you through each step ensuring the correct paperwork is lodged at the Court and with your spouse.

Where there is domestic abuse we will act sensitively and can put you in touch with partner organisations who can support you emotionally and practically with your safety and welfare. Legal Aid is available to anybody who is either a petitioner (the spouse who asks for the divorce) or a respondent (the person who responds to a divorce petition) where they have been a victim of domestic abuse. This does not need to be physical and be mental abuse or coercion although you will need to prove and meet the financial criteria to be entitled to financial support. We can help you to determine if you are eligible and with any required proof you may need.

Civil Partnership Dissolution

If your relationship breaks down, the rules are the same that govern divorce. The partnership needs to be formally dissolved. We are able to assist with all aspects of this process. 

Please contact us today. We’re here to help.

At Crockett & Co Solicitors we recognise that Domestic Violence comes in many different forms including verbal, sexual, financial, physical and psychological, and can also take place between various different family members.

We know that if someone makes the difficult decision to speak out about an abusive, threatening or harassing relationship action needs to be taken quickly. We pride ourselves on being able to meet with a client the same day and if necessary seek emergency Court action, either the same day or the next working day.

We will where appropriate advise that if you are suffering domestic violence you should always contact the police and notify them of the situation. This will in most cases prove useful when attending Court.

There are two types of orders that you can apply for:

  • Non-Molestation Order (also commonly referred to as an Injunction)
  • Occupation Order

A Non-Molestation Order prevents a spouse, ex-spouse or family member from using or threatening violence against you. This order can be obtained with or without the other side having notice of your Court application. If an order is granted this usually lasts for 6 or 12 months and breach of any such order is a criminal offence.

An Occupation Order is a court Order which states who can live in a family home or go within its surrounding area. These orders are often made along side a Non-Molestation Order.

We understand that obtaining a Court Order may be the first step in re-building your life. We therefore feel it is important to assist you in finding support from other relevant organisations. Additional forms of assistance that can be of immense importance include:

Please contact us today. We’re here to help.

Trying to reach an agreement over what is in the best interests of children of the family can be one of the most difficult and emotional tasks when dealing with separation. It is best for everyone if an agreement can be reached without any court intervention, however we know this is not always possible.

If no agreement can be reached as to where the children should live and the amount of contact they should have with the parent they don’t live with then the Court are able to make decisions. The main consideration of the court at all times is that the interests of the children are paramount.

We can advise, particularly where you feel that there is coercion of the child or there is domestic abuse which makes contact between both parents unsafe, however, issues regarding children should always be dealt with separately from financial disputes and we will advocate for the right of the child or children to maintain contact with both parents where it is safe and appropriate to do so. 

Crockett and Co. Solicitors are members of Resolution, so we will always try and seek an amicable solution that is in the best interests of the whole family. We also have experience of representing grandparents and adoptive parents as well as international contact and residency disputes. 

We can also advise on issues such as:

  • Parental responsibility 
  • Whether one parent can relocate to another place in the UK or out of the Jurisdiction
  • Advice and assistance if one parent does not return the children to the primary carer after contact.

Please contact us today. We’re here to help.

We can assist in obtaining a Forced Marriage Protection Order to protect against a forced marriage or represent those accused of forcing a family member to marry.

In order for a marriage to be legal in the UK, both parties must agree to the marriage. If either both of one of the parties is being coerced into marriage against their will, then this is a forced marriage.

Whether a forced marriage has already taken place, or you are in danger being forced into marriage against your will, then we can help by applying for a Forced Marriage Civil Protection Order. This order will legally protect you from being forced into married. Anyone who breaches a Forced Marriage Civil Protection Order can be found guilty of a criminal offence.

If you have arrived in the UK – legally or illegally – to escape a forced marriage, you may be granted refugee status or humanitarian protection. 

In emergency situations, please ring our out of office number on 07778 264289.

Please contact us today. We’re here to help.

Crockett Solicitors

Accessibility Tools

This website utilises various technologies that are meant to make it as accessible as possible at all times.

To access the tools click below. These tools can also be accessed by a link in the footer of every page.